Call of Duty

"Dude, this is easier than playin' Madden!" 
Have you ever felt like you’ve been sucker punched? Every now and then it happens when I turn on the television to watch a fight and a hockey game breaks out. It typically happens when I go to concerts at HBCU's (Historically Black College & Universities) and a football game breaks out of nowhere. I should be used to it by now but it always startles me because just when I'm groovin' all of a sudden boyz run out and start playing football. That messes me up every time. On a side note, I've never been able to understand why you would want to play on a campus where the band gets more props than the football team. I mean literally the drum majors got more women than the starting quarterback. Explain that one to me bruh? What's the point in playing? Just get in the band!

I had that same odd feeling on Saturday as I was watching the Baylor/West Virginia game. I was posted up to watch the debut of the Mountaineers in the Big 12 conference to see what Geno Smith and Co. could do against better competition after leaving the Big East. Then all of a sudden a track meet broke out. Then I thought I was at a basketball game turned tennis match and I swore I saw John McEnroe cursing the ref out at the 50 yard line. What's really going on bruh?

West Virginia beat Baylor 70-63 in Morgantown and I couldn’t turn the channel because I was waiting for somebody to just tackle something. I would have been cool with the mascots fighting on the sidelines like the Oregon Duck always does. Remember when the Ohio mascot beat up Brutus Buckeye last year before the game? Hilarious!

Let's keep it real or all the way 100, whichever comes 1st! How does two FBS level schools show up and play a football game with both defenses still at the hotel playing Call of Duty? These duns must have gone on strike with the NFL officials and didn’t hear that it was over.

There was a combined 1507 total yards in this ball game. Geno Smith was 45-51 for 656 yards and 8 touchdowns. Ole boy from Baylor, Nick Florence, was just as potent with 581 yards and 5 TD’s.  Both West Virginia wide outs had more than 300 yards receiving each. So am I supposed to be impressed that they put these numbers against no defense?

 Don't give Geno props for throwing the rock around against a Pop Warner defense cuz Florence did the same thing and we don't even know this dun! How can you give Geno props and some no name cat puts up the same numbers? That ain't hatin' bruh, that’s real talk. Tim Tebow could have put up 500 yards in that game homeboy! I could have thrown for 300 with my little hand! Now do I think he'll still win the Heisman? Absolutely! But slow down on this game bruh!

It literally came down to who had the ball last. I saw the freaking punters in the parking lot tailgating because they felt neglected. There were 4 punts all day. How does that happen? I’m just waiting on the announcement that both defensive coordinators got fired today. I wouldn’t have let them anywhere near my locker room after that game. I would have let the mascots kick them in the pants once for every point they gave up and drag them through campus on their knees.

It wasn’t like the offenses were methodically moving the ball up and down the field and scoring. They were gashing each other with huge plays and both quarterbacks averaged more than 12 yards per pass! Neither defense could hit water if they fell out of a boat. They couldn’t hit an elephant in the butt with a bass fiddle. These boyz couldn’t stop a nose bleed with a sand bag!

So with that being said, how do we evaluate Geno Smith and West Virginia at this point? I’ve been saying that they were my pick to make it to the national championship game to play Florida State because I thought that they could run the table. They’ve got the offense to do it but that defense is terrible and you can’t say that they just had a bad day. A bad day is giving up a few big plays or blowing a couple of assignments but not every assignment all day long! That’s not correctable! So if they can score 70 points every week they can survive the Big 12 but that ain’t gonna happen.

They may not get out of Austin alive next week because the Longhorns are very athletic on defense and well…it is Texas! Even though they’ve been down the past two years they still have players and speed all over the field. WV is ranked 70th in rushing and 97th in points allowed. You can’t keep winning with those kinds of numbers because at some point the offense will shut down on you. I know Geno is the man but he can’t continue to carry these boyz like this. The D will have to tackle something in order to survive the offenses of the Big 12.

Holla At Ya Boy!
Jay Graves
Get @ me on Twitter: @jaygravesreport  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Fire!

Top 10 Blazin' Hot Joints of the Last 30 Days!

LinkWithin