"The Lew Alcindor Rule!"

Utah's Jeremy Evan's win the "Make Believe Dunk Contest"
The term Slam Dunk was coined by famed Los Angeles Lakers announcer Chick Hearn. Prior to that it was known as the dunk shot. From 1967 to 1976 it was banned from use by the NCAA because of the dominance of one Lew Alcindor now known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. You would think that the NBA banned that joint last night as we watched probably the worst Slam Dunk Contest in history. I thought the joint last year was terrible but this was ridiculous bruh!

Just the thought of the Slam Dunk Contest used to excite fans around the world. It was nothing for the best dunkers in the league to step up and compete. Remember how Jordan, Dominique and Clyde Drexler would have you standing up on the couch going crazy. Remember when 5’7” Spud Webb rocked the house and people talked about it for the rest of the year? There are countless players and dunks that come to mind that have made this event so special. It was the event that MADE All-Star Saturday night worth watching or going to.

Now we've been reduced to watching four guys that quite frankly no one except their local markets even knew. I mean C'mon bruh! When Utah's Jeremy Evans can win the dunk contest for jumping over Kevin Hart we've got problems. He's as tall as a piece of paper bruh! Yeah, I saw him put down two but who cares at this point. Then Paul George dunks over 7'2" Roy Hibbert by using his left hand to elevate before taking me to the skating rink with the glow in the dark uniform. Derrick Williams took us to practice as he attempts the same dunk like 48 times! That's like yelling surprise then telling me that the camera didn't work so let's do it again. What was Chase Budinger doing trying to attempt the Ced Ceballos blind fold joint? He darn near killed himself on the first attempt. Then they had to walk him to the basket on the second one like he was Stevie Wonder at the Grammy’s!

Straight up bruh, the NBA owes me money for even watching that on TV. I got a call last night from Sprite saying that they're going to give me a lifetime supply for my troubles. I told them while you're at it throw in All-Star Game tickets for life and we've got a deal. They wrestled with me on that for a while but we finally got the deal done in the wee hours of the morning. It was that bad bruh!

I sound like my pops when I say this but these young boys are made of something different. Nobody wants to compete these days on GP(General Purposes). It’s strictly about the money! How can you be the best dunker on the planet and not be in the dunk contest? Why wasn't Blake Griffin defending his title from last year? It was nothing for guys back in the day to win that joint and start preparing for the following year’s contest. You were the king until somebody knocked you off bruh! It’s like racing down the street barefoot in the hood. You did it until you got knocked off! C’mon I know ya’ll feeling me on that!

How crazy would it have sounded for Jordan to be in his prime and not be in the Slam Dunk Contest? The NBA should be ashamed of itself for that. I say if none of the marquee dunkers aren't going to be in it don't have it! Find something else to do. There is no reason why D. Wade, Lebron and Blake at the minimum shouldn't have been in that joint. If they refuse to show up that's their preference but the NBA should have cancelled the joint or called it the Pretend Slam Dunk Contest. The D-League joint was better than that.

Yeah, I know they made money because people watched it and the ad space sold at a premium. So it really is about the bread, right? With that being said, that's why Jeremy Lin should be in the All-Star Game tonight! He's the most popular guy on the planet and they've already proven to me that being the best during All-Star weekend is of no importance. You don't have to "deserve" to be the best to be in the event as long as people will watch the joint! They should institute fan voting on who get's to be in the dunk contest. You can't just show up off the street because you've got ankles and calf muscles and start dunking. I wish they would have instituted the "Lew Alcindor Rule" last night so I didn't have wast my time bruh!

Holla At Ya Boy!
Jay Graves
Follow me on Twitter: @jaygravesreport

1 comment:

  1. A lil late, but I enjoyed this report JG....RLB!!!

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Fire!

Top 10 Blazin' Hot Joints of the Last 30 Days!

LinkWithin