Immortalized!

"I know Big Momma is watching and she's pissed!"
Remember when you took your 4th grade school pictures and you put on your favorite outfit, rocking whatever hair style was in at the time? You thought you were the stuff until twenty years later you pulled that joint out and looked a complete mess? Even though it was stylish at the time it didn't transcend through time. I had an afro that I had to put a hot comb on in order for that joint to stand up. So by the time we took pictures half of my hair had fallen because I was sweating from walking to school. So you know it was bad. The good thing is everybody in the world didn't see.

Robert Griffin III immortalized the worst hair cut ever to hold a Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. Big Momma would call them plats, not braids! I've been saying it all season long every time they would interview him after a win. "He needs to cut his hair bruh." He goes to Baylor, is highly intelligent, well spoken and I'm not seeing what I'm hearing. He sounds corporate but looks well...you fill in the blank!

I’ve got mad love for RGIII however because he's a trailblazer. He could have gone anywhere in America to play ball but he chose Baylor. A school that had averaged only 1 conference win per year for more than a decade. Who does that? RGIII or Superman as his teammates call him does. He even rocked the Superman socks with the cape on them last night too. Now that was hot! Trailblazing bruh! He pulled a Kobe and put the entire university on his back and took them to NYC to pick up the joint. When his name was called as the 77th recipient of the Heisman Trophy he was a poised professional… with plats.


"This is unbelievably believable," he said. "It's unbelievable because in the moment we're all amazed when great things happen. But it's believable because great things don't happen without hard work."

My man got up there and sounded like he'd been there before. Very mature kid… with plats! Very intelligent kid… with plats. Very motivating speech… with plats. I'm sorry dog; I can't get over the plats. I know Billy Sims rocked the afro in 1978 when he picked up the Heisman but the fro was in style at the time. Everybody that was anybody had a fro in '78! So Billy represented the brotherhood well. I can remember all the kids saying, "Right On Bruh!" Billy did us right when he got up there because his fro was shaped and bouncing!

However, nobody is wearing plats bruh! I mean NOBODY! I guess that's RGIII trying to be a trailblazer again huh? Sorry my guy, nobody's getting on that train, bus, limo or bike with you on that one. Now he's got to look back on the immortalized pictures of the most outstanding night of his life and see plats. I'm just glad Trent Richardson didn't have to immortalize the dreads pulled back into a stiff pony tail. What was that bruh? He looked like the girls in the Trojan Fingertip Massager commercial. Just rock the dreads down that's why you've got them. They're supposed to be hanging and the brotherhood would have appreciated that. Not pulled back in a still pony tail!

RGIII needed a “No” man last night! He needed that guy that grew up with you that will tell you what you really need to hear when you need to hear it. He needed him on the road with him all week long saying, “Hey bruh, I know you’ve been rockin’ them joints since the 3rd grade but now is a really good time to get rid of ‘em. I mean you can’t go out there lookin’ like that bruh!” Big Momma would have said something but she’s afraid to fly and hasn‘t figured out that cell phone thing yet. You better believe she’s got him in the kitchen right now cutting them off after watching the Heisman Presentation last night! She's cursing the whole time because you know she told him to cut it "before he went up there with them city folks!"

Holla At Ya Boy!
Jay Graves
Follow me on Twitter:@jaygravesreport

5 comments:

  1. You are so right on this one,image is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Substance is everything…RGIII has it. I feel he did a great job of shattering a few stereotypes. We shouldn’t assume that a young brotha with long twisted is a.... ya know. When I graduated from college, it was suggested that I cut my hair so that I could have a “professional image”. I chose NOT to cut it and kept it long for 7 more years and did my part in educating the ignorant. I’m sure that made it easier for at least one brotha coming behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in total agreement but commentary like this reflect our age. This is good! I own it and stand by it. I am the "No" man!6 hours ago · LikeUnlike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin Witherspoon SrDecember 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

    That brother is confident and courageous. He had the courage wear that hair style knowing it would be questioned. But there he stands upright with a look of confidence on his face. He owns that one. At 40+ its not for us but I respect those that dare to be different and not conform to the image that's expected of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear what you're saying but Big Momma is still upset! Holla At Ya Boy!

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Fire!

Top 10 Blazin' Hot Joints of the Last 30 Days!

LinkWithin